Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
"Earth & Environmental Science aims to develop students’:
- interest in Earth and environmental science and their appreciation of how this multidisciplinary knowledge can be used to understand contemporary issues
- understanding of Earth as a dynamic planet consisting of four interacting systems: the geosphere, atmosphere, hydrosphere and biosphere
- appreciation of the complex interactions, involving multiple parallel processes, that continually change Earth systems over a range of timescales
- understanding that Earth and environmental science knowledge has developed over time; is used in a variety of contexts; and influences, and is influenced by, social, economic, cultural and ethical considerations
- ability to conduct a variety of field, research and laboratory investigations involving collection and analysis of qualitative and quantitative data, and interpretation of evidence
- ability to critically evaluate Earth and environmental science concepts, interpretations, claims and conclusions with reference to evidence
- ability to communicate understanding, findings, arguments and conclusions related to the Earth and its environments, using appropriate representations, modes and genres" (QCAA, 2019).
"Education uses a range of strategies to promote geoscience awareness in the community ... "
Climate Data Online
Search the Bureau of Meteorology's climate data.
Queensland Spatial Catalogue - QSpatial
"This service is a Queensland Government initiative to provide improved public access to a variety of spatial and associated data. You can discover, display, select and download or order data over an area of interest in selected formats, including map coverage data, image data and text file data."
Open Data Portal
Search the Queensland Government's Open Data Portal.
Census Geography Basics
Geographically summarised demographic data can be downloaded from the Bureau of Statistics.
GIS for Schools
"The GIS for Schools program brings industry leading software to P-12 schools across Australia. Interactive maps created using Geographic Information Systems (GIS) make learning come alive in mainstream subjects—geography, history, science, environmental studies, agriculture—and beyond ... "
The Queensland Globe is an open online GIS containing most of the data available on the Queensland Spatial Catalogue.
Remote Sensing and Imagery
Remote Sensing and imagery
Sentinel Hub | Education
"Here you will find the examples of using satellite images for analysis of different phenomena and events happening around the globe. With these examples, we want to facilitate your learning about satellite imagery and show you how to utilize some of freely available tools for your analysis ... "
NASA | Landsat Science
"Landsat images are more than snapshots from space. Scientists, farmers, and historians are only some of the people who use Landsat data in their careers, but many people benefit from the information that Landsat reveals about our planet. These resources can be used to showcase some of the important work that Landsat makes possible ... "
Satellite mapping and monitoring
The Queensland Government's Satellite Mapping and Monitoring resources; including the Remote Sensing Centre, Satellite Monitoring Programs, Assessing land clearing using satellite technology and more ...
The Queensland Government's online collection of photographs since the 1930's.